Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Interview Observations

From the article, "Conducting an In-depth Interview" (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FY393) I was given a great deal of insight in how to perhaps conduct interviews on Second Life.

I hope to be able to approach various avatars on Second Life and conduct an informal but in-depth interview with a basis of questions, but I will hopefully manage to let the avatars speak and give insight about themselves and their views on Second Life.

A couple of things I noticed about interviewing in Second Life that I might find problematic is mainly the practice of interpreting non-verbal communication. The article discusses how to be flexible and perceptive of what people aren't saying, which is hard in Second Life, seeing as people are hiding behind digital avatars, which unless animated, do not give emotion beyond what they are typing. I suppose when I begin conducting my interviews, I should be especially aware of how people are typing and what is being interpreted through that.

Luckily, since every communication on Second Life is typed, I can therefore copy and paste every interview instead of having to do record voices and transcribe the audio.

Interviews on Second Life will certainly be an interesting and insightful look into the lives of people and how they interact virtually.

No comments: